From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] rfcomm0 interface missing
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 18:47:04
1 After more than a year I tried to tether my mobile to my laptop to connect to
2 GPRS using kppp. I noticed that kppp hangs and I have to kill it, while it
3 hangs with "Modem Ready". I can query the modem successfully using kppp, and
4 it responds to ATI initialisation commands, so now I am trying to understand
5 what is wrong with it and why the connection does not complete.
6
7 ifconfig -a does not show rfcomm0, but this may be because it never completes
8 the connection to my mobile phone provider's network, so the ppp link is not
9 established.
10
11 I can see that the rfcomm device is being created:
12
13 # ls -la /dev/rfcomm*
14 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 216, 0 Nov 17 15:51 /dev/rfcomm0
15
16 and it does try to connect until it freezes showing "Modem Ready", but I am
17 getting no more errors to know what to do next.
18
19 I was thinking that this may be related to the udev NIC renaming change that
20 happened within the last year. However, I never had any udev rules to manage
21 rfcomm and from what I recall vaguely when the udev update came, I had no
22 problem connecting (but memory may be failing me after all this time). It
23 could of course be related to my mobile phone providers settings - I haven't
24 changed these for a long time and looking on the Internet I can't find if they
25 are any different now.
26
27 How should I troubleshoot this further?
28
29 Could someone please hold my hand to set up ppp so that I can avoid kppp and
30 its freezing behaviour?
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick