From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Semi OT: 64 bit processors, the Linux Kernel, and x86 Gentoo.
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:19:34
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. [mailto:bss03@××××××××××.net]
3 > Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 5:07 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Semi OT: 64 bit processors, the
6 > Linux Kernel, and x86 Gentoo.
9 > On Friday 25 May 2007 02:12:49 burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote:
10 > > My question is this, If I enabel 64 bit support in the kernel,
11 >
12 > You mean run a 64-bit kernel with 32-bit support. There's no
13 > such thing as a
14 > 32-bit kernel with 64-bit support (at least not in x86-land).
15 >
16 > > is that
17 > > likely to cause any issues with running the 32bit compiled software?
18 >
19 > No, it won't, but it's a little bit tricky to set up. You'll
20 > want to use an
21 > i686 stage3, and set ARCH to x86 or ~x86. Then, you'll have
22 > to install a
23 > cross compiler (and binutils, IIRC) and cross-compile your kernel.
24 >
25 > You could always just use a 32-bit kernel. Do you have 3G or
26 > more RAM or need
27 > to run 64-bit programs?
28
29 So, unless I need the upper memory support, it may be better for me to
30 just not click the flag for 64bit memory support, and move on?
31
32 This is on a laptop, and it is not a critical system (i.e. it is not
33 going to require that I get those last few dredges of CPU time out of
34 the system). The main things it will be used for until I build my next
35 system is dataprocessing, and Pencil and Paper gaming. I plan to
36 install a couple graphics related apps to mess with and practice with as
37 well. :P
38
39 I'm not exactly the average user, but I will be using it for average
40 user level work, so it doesn't HAVE to have 64 bit support. :P From
41 what I understand, the processor handles 32 bit emulation just fine.
42 (It was running Windows XP fine until a runin with the emphamous Gentoo
43 GTK installer.)
44
45 :P I'm not blaming the software though. The Walkthrough, and the
46 readme both warn that it is experimental. ^^;; Then there is the fact
47 that I had just butted a 700MB CD, that loaded a compressed file system
48 into 512MB of ram, and told it to load a GUI, and a GUI driven install
49 system. *shrugs* Live and learn, and kick yourself when you do
50 something stupid. :P
51
52 ^_^
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list