From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:56:43
1 On 3/9/06, Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hey group,
3 >
4 > I am a long time Linux user, however I am new to Gentoo. I used Red
5 > Hat/Fedora for many years, then my own Linux based on LFS and the last
6 > year I have been using Ubuntu.
7 >
8 > I really like Ubuntu because of apt, however I have had frustrations
9 > with Ubuntu because it could be a pain to get newer versions of packages
10 > installed. For example Ubuntu defaulted to Apache 1.x for mod_mono.
11 >
12 > I have now been using Gentoo for a few days and I am running into some
13 > issues I hope this group can help with. At first emerge was trying to
14 > merge some really old packages. For example I wanted mysql 5.x, php 5.x
15 > and Apache 2.x and Gentoo was only going to install mysql 4.x. I did
16 > find out about ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" which has helped with getting more
17 > recent versions of software installed.
18
19 Welcome!!!
22 > I am looking for any good links, tips, suggestions of admin software to
23 > emerge, etc to help me learn the ins-and-outs of Gentoo. I have tons of
24 > questions but don't know where to look. Well, I can google but that
25 > takes ages and I was hoping many of you on this list will have a nice
26 > set of bookmarks on gentoo admin, handy gentoo software, tips etc.
27
28 http://www.gentoo.org -> Docs
29 Lots of info, migrating guides, howtos, and initial setup.
30
31 http://forums.gentoo.org/
32 Any doubts, search first, ask later...
33
34 http://gentoo-wiki.com/
35 LOTS of specific, hardware, software and configuration related topics.
38 > Some tasks I could do in Fedora/Ubuntu that I want to know how to do on
39 > Gentoo:
40 >
41 > See list of all *installed* software.
42
43 kuroo is good, porthole seemed to do that too, but it segfault in one
44 of my system.
45
46 > Browse available software that can be installed.
47
48 http://packages.gentoo.org
49
50 > See what version of a particular software package is installed.
51
52 eix <package>
53
54 > See if any new versions of *installed* software are available.
55
56 emerge -u world -pv
57
58 Also take a look at man emerge, man portage and the use of packages.*
59 files. Avoid setting stuff at command line, like ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for
60 example, use /etc/portage/packages.keywords.
63 Daniel da Veiga
64 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
72 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list