From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change in kernel netfilter config causes an error
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 16:18:57
1 On 01/05/06, Toby Cubitt <tsc25@××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > I was confused because the error below is from the gentoo iptables
4 > init script, not from your script.
5 >
6 > > ==============================
7 > > # /etc/init.d/iptables restart
9 > > iptables-restore v1.3.4: iptables-restore: unable to initializetable 'nat'
10 > >
11 > > Error occurred at line: 8
12 > > Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more
13 > > information. [ !! ]
14 > > ==============================
15
16 That's right. My script is not particularly verbose..
17 ============================
18 # ./fw_script.sh start
19 Starting firewall...
20 ============================
21
22 Checking if rules are initialised, everything looks OK as far as I can tell:
23 ============================
24 # iptables -L -v
25 Chain INPUT (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
26 pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
27 destination
28 0 0 ACCEPT all -- !eth0 any anywhere
29 anywhere
30 0 0 ACCEPT all -- any any anywhere
31 anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
32 0 0 DROP tcp -- eth0 any anywhere
33 anywhere
34 1 229 DROP udp -- eth0 any anywhere
35 anywhere
36
37 Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
38 pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
39 destination
40
41 Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 774 packets, 144K bytes)
42 pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
43 ============================
46 > It looks like it's trying to define NAT rules, even though you don't
47 > use NAT. Maybe the old rules saved by gentoo's iptables init script
48 > included some NAT rules?
49
50 Hmm, I don't know. Where would it get its NAT rules from? My fw
51 script? As Daniel guides us in his commented script I have entered
52 NAT=" " (blank), to disable NATing.
53
54 If, after I start the fw script I run /etc/init.d/iptables save, I get:
55 ============================
56 # /etc/init.d/iptables save
57 * Saving iptables state ...
58 ============================
59 No errors here.
60
61 When I run ./fw_script.sh stop it comes back with this error:
62 ============================
63 # ./fw_script.sh stop
64 Stopping firewall...
65 iptables v1.3.4: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not
66 exist (do you need to insmod?)
67 Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
68 ============================
69
70 Despite this error message the fw is stopped because iptables -L -v
71 shows that the chains are flushed.
72
73 > Does running "/etc/init.d/iptables stop", then running your script,
74 > then running "/etc/init.d/iptables save", then
75 > "/etc/init.d/iptables start" help at all?
76
77 Let's see:
78 ============================
79 # /etc/init.d/iptables stop
80 * ERROR: "iptables" has not yet been started.
81 # ./fw_script.sh start
82 Starting firewall...
83 # /etc/init.d/iptables save
84 * Saving iptables state ...
85 # /etc/init.d/iptables start
87 ============================
88
89 No problem. Rebooting thereafter comes up *without* the error. So
90 the error is caused by the state in which the iptables are saved using
91 the ./fw_script stop command. Something's amiss with the script then,
92 given the latest kernel chages.
93
94 Thanks for all your responses. I am getting there! :-) Any more ideas?
95 --
96 Regards,
97 Mick
100 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list