From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT - ipkungfu not
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:48:59
1 I'm having a problem with ipkungfu on one of my boxes. According to the
2 log files, it's running, but it doesn't seem to be firewall-ing. It's
3 not working on 192.168.1.2. Here's nmap output from 192.168.1.3:
4
5 camille ~ # nmap -sT -PT 192.168.1.2
6
7 Starting Nmap 4.01 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-10-04 20:39
8 CDT
9 Interesting ports on bullet.espersunited.com (192.168.1.2):
10 (The 1657 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
11 PORT STATE SERVICE
12 21/tcp open ftp
13 22/tcp open ssh
14 25/tcp open smtp
15 53/tcp open domain
16 80/tcp open http
17 111/tcp open rpcbind
18 139/tcp open netbios-ssn
19 143/tcp open imap
20 445/tcp open microsoft-ds
21 587/tcp open submission
22 631/tcp open ipp
23 746/tcp open unknown
24 993/tcp open imaps
25 2049/tcp open nfs
26 3632/tcp open distccd
27 MAC Address: 00:10:4B:73:8E:81 (3com)
28
29 Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.597 seconds
30
31 Here's /etc/ipkungfu/ipkungfu.conf. It's the only file I've altered for
32 ipkungfu:
33
34 # Please read the README and FAQ for more information
35
36 # Some distros (most notably Redhat) don't have
37 # everything we need in $PATH so we specify it here.
38 # Make sure modprobe, iptables, and route are here,
39 # as well as ordinary items such as echo and grep.
40 # Default is as shown in the example below.
41 #PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
42
43 # Your external interface
44 # This is the one that connects to the internet.
45 # Ipkungfu will detect this if you don't specify.
46 EXT_NET="eth0"
47 #EXT_NET="eth1"
48 #EXT_NET="ppp0"
49
50 # Your internal interfaces, if any. If you have more
51 # than 1 internal interface, separate them with
52 # spaces. If you only have one interface, put "lo"
53 # here. Default is auto-detected.
54 #INT_NET="eth0"
55 #INT_NET="eth1"
56 #INT_NET="lo"
57
58 # IP Range of your internal network. Use "127.0.0.1"
59 # for a standalone machine. Default is a reasonable
60 # guess.
61 LOCAL_NET="192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0"
62
63 # Set this to 0 for a standalone machine, or 1 for
64 # a gateway device to share an Internet connection.
65 # Default is 1.
66 #GATEWAY=1
67
68 # TCP ports you want to allow for incoming traffic
69 # Don't add ports here that you intend to forward.
70 # This should be a list of tcp ports that have
71 # servers listening on them on THIS machine,
72 # separated by spaces. Default is none.
73 ALLOWED_TCP_IN="21 22 25 80"
74
75 # UDP ports to allow for incoming traffic
76 # See the comments above for ALLOWED_TCP_IN
77 #ALLOWED_UDP_IN=""
78
79 # Temporarily block future connection attempts from an
80 # IP that hits these ports (If module is present)
81 #FORBIDDEN_PORTS="135 137 139"
82
83 # Drop all ping packets?
84 # Set to 1 for yes, 0 for no. Default is no.
85 #BLOCK_PINGS=0
86
87 # Possible values here are "DROP", "REJECT", or "MIRROR"
88 #
89 # "DROP" means your computer will not respond at all. "Stealth mode"
90 #
91 # "REJECT" means your computer will respond with a
92 # message that the packet was rejected.
93 #
94 # "MIRROR", if your kernel supports it, will swap the source and
95 # destination IP addresses, and send the offending packet back
96 # where it came from. USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION! Only use this if you
97 fully
98 # understand the consequences.
99 #
100 # The safest option, and the default in each case,, is "DROP". Don't
101 change
102 # unless you fully understand this.
105 # What to do with 'probably malicious' packets
106 #SUSPECT="REJECT"
107 SUSPECT="DROP"
108
109 # What to do with obviously invalid traffic
110 # This is also the action for FORBIDDEN_PORTS
111 #KNOWN_BAD="REJECT"
112 KNOWN_BAD="DROP"
113
114 # What to do with port scans
115 #PORT_SCAN="REJECT"
116 PORT_SCAN="DROP"
117
118 # How should ipkungfu determine your IP address? The default
119 # answer, "NONE", will cause ipkungfu to not use the few
120 # features that require it to know your external IP address.
121 # This option is good for dialup users who run ipkungfu on
122 # bootup, since dialup users rarely use the features that
123 # require this, and the IP address for a dialup connection
124 # generally isn't known at bootup. "AUTO" will cause
125 # ipkungfu to automatically determine the IP address of
126 # $EXT_NET when it is started. If you have a static IP
127 # address you can simply enter your IP address here.
128 # If you do port forwarding and your ISP changes your IP
129 # address, choose NONE here, or your port forwarding
130 # will break when your IP address changes. Default is
131 # "NONE".
132 #GET_IP="NONE"
133 GET_IP="AUTO"
134 #GET_IP="192.268.1.2"
135
136 # If the target for identd (113/tcp) is DROP, it can take
137 # a long time to connect to some IRC servers. Set this to
138 # 1 to speed up these connections with a negligible cost
139 # to security. Identd probes will be rejected with the
140 # 'reject-with-tcp-reset' option to close the connection
141 # gracefully. If you want to actually allow ident probes,
142 # and you're running an identd, and you've allowed port
143 # 113 in ALLOWED_TCP_IN, set this to 0. Default is 0.
144 DONT_DROP_IDENTD=1
145
146 # Set this to 0 if you're running ipkungfu on a machine
147 # inside your LAN. This will cause private IP addresses
148 # coming in on $EXT_NET to be identified as a spoof,
149 # which would be inaccurate on intra-LAN traffic
150 # This will cause private IP addresses coming in on
151 # $EXT_NET to be identified as a spoof. Default is 1.
152 #DISALLOW_PRIVATE=1
153
154 # For reasons unknown to me, ipkungfu sometimes causes
155 # kernel panics when run at init time. This is my
156 # attempt to work around that. Ipkungfu will wait
157 # the specified number of seconds before starting, to
158 # let userspace/kernel traffic catch up before executing.
159 # Default is 0.
160 WAIT_SECONDS=5
161
162 # This option, if enabled, will cause ipkungfu to set
163 # the default policy on all builtin chains in the filter
164 # table to ACCEPT in the event of a failure. This is
165 # intended for remote administrators who may be locked
166 # out of the firewall if ipkungfu fails. A warning to
167 # this effect will be echoed so that the situation can be
168 # rectified quickly. This is the same as running
169 # ipkungfu with --failsafe. Default is 0.
170 #FAILSAFE=0
171
172 This config is the exact same as on my other two boxes, except that the
173 other two work. What gives?
176 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list