From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless Configuration...
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 14:08:17
1 On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
3 >> On Tuesday 06 Sep 2011 15:24:33 BRM wrote:
4 >> I don't know if one is causing a clash with the other, so don't try to
5 >> use
6 >> both at the same time.  If wicd is started automatically when you boot/login,
7 >> then just use that.
8 >
9 > Well, I figured this part out. Essentially, I had wpa_supplicant, and wicd installed.
10 > However, what I really wanted to NetworkManager and KNetworkManager installed.
11 > So I removed wicd, and installed NetworkManager and KNetworkManager.
12 > I now get the interface I expected under KDE and don't need to use wpa_gui any more.
13 > Still, it doesn't scan.
14
15 I believe NetworkManager provides WPA supplicant functionlaity, so I
16 don't think you need wpa_supplicant if you have NetworkManager. It's
17 been a *long* time (about five years) since I messed with wireless
18 configuration daemons, though. Lots of things can change in that time,
19 including memory...
22 :wq