From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:08:57
1 On 2012-12-10, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:06:36 +0000 (UTC)
3 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 2012-12-10, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
6 >> wrote:
7 >> > Am Samstag, 8. Dezember 2012, 19:25:55 schrieb Grant:
8 >> >
9 >> >> It seems like ARM processors will destroy x86 before too long.
10 >> >> Does anyone think this won't happen?
11 >> >
12 >> > no
13 >> >
14 >> > two reasons:
15 >> >
16 >> > not enough power
17 >> > does not run x86 software
18 >> >
19 >> > the second one is a real deal breaker.
20 >>
21 >> Only until somebody invents some sort of scheme where you can write a
22 >> program using a source language that isn't tied directly to the
23 >> processor architecture. Then you'd be able to build programs (or even
24 >> OS kernels) so that they'd run on a variety of CPU architectures!
25 >
26 > We can do that *already*
27 >
28 > java
29 > perl
30 > python
31 > dotnet
32 > and any number of other languages compiled to bytecode. There's too
33 > many to list.
34
35 I know. :)
36
37 And even if you stick with old-school compiled languages to C,
38 supporting multiple architectures isn't any more difficult than
39 supporting the plethora of x86-based motherboards and chipsets.
40
41 * Apple transitioned from 68K to PPC to x86 without much problem,
42 and they don't seem to have any problem getting software to run on
43 ARM devices.
44
45 * Linux is available for non x86 platforms. :)
46
47 Nobody has developed significant applications in assembly language for
48 decades, so I don't see why there's a requirement to "run x86
49 software"...
50
51 I use a couple of large, commerical Java apps under Linux and they
52 both work great. OTOH, some of the smaller "free" Java apps I've
53 tried were pretty bad...
56 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Gee, I feel kind of
57 at LIGHT in the head now,
58 gmail.com knowing I can't make my
59 satellite dish PAYMENTS!