From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:19:41
1 On Thu, February 23, 2012 12:25 pm, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Just don't do what I did earlier: sit in Joburg and configure the
3 > firewall on a Xen host in deepest darkest Africa where there's no
4 > tarred roads to get to it.
5
6 How did you get the server there? Flown it in?
7 I've seen the roads in Africa and those are difficult to navigate...
8 (The tarmac'd ones are decent though)
9
10 > Check the iptables config three times,
11 > plus get your colleagues to look it over as well. We all signed off on
12 > it.
13 >
14 > Guess what? Yup, you got it. We all missed something and now we are
15 > locked out. Remember, it's in deepest darkest Africa.
16
17 That's why I like the "ADMINISABSENTMINDED" option in the Shorewall
18 config. It doesn't kill existing connections.
19
20 I always test a new remote connection prior to closing the one I used to
21 change it with.
22 If I do accidentally kill my existing connection, the "safe_restart"
23 option will cause it to roll-back if I don't accept the new settings
24 before a time-out.
27 Joost