From: Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server blocked by ati-drivers
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 20:13:36
1 James wrote:
2 > blocks B x11-drivers/ati-drivers (is blocking x11-base/xorg-server-1.3.0.0)
3
4 That's because none of the current ati-drivers work with xorg-server-1.3.
5
6 > One thing that I as never really comfortable with is this make.conf
7 > entry that I ended up using shich I gleaned from several wikis:
8 > VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev fglrx vesa"
9
10 This only means that the drivers for framebuffer, ati-drivers and vesa
11 will be built for xorg. In your case you have probably configured xorg
12 to use the ati-drivers (fglrx). It is a good idea to have the vesa
13 driver handy in case something breaks after an update. It allows you to
14 configure a slow but mostly working X11.
15
16 > I'm still using an older kernel, (2.6.18-gentoo-r6)
17 > so any advice on kernel versions or options to use with this video
18 > card are welcome.
19
20 From what I remember from bugs.gentoo.org, 2.6.19 should work fine with
21 all recent ati-drivers, whereas 2.6.20 seems to be problematic.
22
23 > Any advice on which 3D drivers options are now available for this
24 > card or which version of ati-drivers I should install to keep
25 > xorg-server-1.3.0.0 happy are welcome. The only information I
26 > can find googling is not current with these newer versions
27 > of ati-drivers, 2.6.20+ kernels, 3D and xorg-server 1.3.
28
29 Stay away from xorg-server-1.3 and kernel-2.6.20 or later until ATI
30 releases new versions that work with them.
31
32 -- Remy