From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: fsck check of /usr on a separate partition fails during boot
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 03:00:12
1 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2018-01-13 15:49, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think without a init thingy, it mounts / ro at first, runs the checks
5 >> and then remounts rw.
6 > Right.
7 >
8 >> I think it does the same with /usr.
9 > No, other filesystems are not mounted at all until they're checked, in
10 > this situation (which is the traditional one, fsck is older than any
11 > init thingy concept and a separate /usr was once highly recommended).
12 >
13 > :-P :-P
16 You may be right.  I recall at least / being done during the init thingy
17 part.  I thought /usr was to, since it is mounted along with / within
18 the init part before the regular OS boots.  That's my understanding of
19 the purpose of the init thingy is to mount / and /usr and then pivot
20 over to the regular boot process.  Maybe it mounts /usr ro or something.
21
22 Yea, it used to be recommended and in a way it can still be a good
23 idea.  I use LVM for example and I can increase /usr, /var, /home or
24 whatever without having to redo my drive setup.  The only thing I can't
25 change is / which is a regular file system.  Just have to cross that
26 bridge when I get there.  Oh, I had a log file file up /var once.
27 System was still running and I was able to figure out the problem before
28 it got worse.  I can't recall what the problem was now but messages was
29 huge, I mean HUGE.
30
31 Dale
32