From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any bought a laptop that "Just Works"?
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 06:43:23
1 On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 07:31:09PM +0100, Robin Atwood wrote
2 > I am in the market for a new laptop and would be interested if
3 > anyone else on the list had recently bought a laptop in which all
4 > the hardware worked out of the box with Linux. I am most concerned
5 > about WiFi/audio/webcam, the finer points of hibernation are of
6 > lesser concern. Currently I have a "Linux Certified" machine but I
7 > want to avoid shipping costs to the UK.
8
9 That would require the install CD to be psychic. I got an Acer Aspire
10 working under Gentoo after "an excellent adventure". See thread...
11 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/238950 I think that
12 with Gentoo the problem is knowing which drivers to use. The only
13 problem is to avoid machines with "Poulsbo" video chips at all costs.
16 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>