From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] undoing emerge --sync
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:51:23
1 On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:33:58 +0100, Sergio Polini wrote:
2
3 > Yes, but I'ld like to return to a tested sync.
4 > Perhaps I've been too concise ;)
5 > I have two Gentoo systems, "stable" and "testing". I'ld like to test a
6 > new sync in the "testing" system, and:
7 > a) if it does not work well to me, restore the previous working sync
8 > from the "stable" system, and wait for a new sync;
9 > b) if it works well, copy the working sync to the "stable" system.
10 > This is why I'm wondering if copying /usr/portage and /etc/conf.d
11 > would be enough.
12
13 emerge --sync only updates the portage tree, that is, the set of
14 available packages. it has no effect on what is actually installed on
15 your system. /etc/conf.d, on the other hand, contains configuration files
16 used my various Gentoo startup scripts. the two are not related.
17
18 If you want to test packages on one system before emerging them on the
19 other, just do so. emerge them on the test system, when you are happy,
20 emerge them on the stable system. I run ~arch on my laptop and my desktop
21 but tend to update packages on my laptop first, on the basis that I'd
22 rather mess that up than my desktop. Certainly with important packages
23 like baselayout, I emerge them on the laptop and reboot before trying
24 them on the desktop.
25
26 If you want to backup the portage tree, /usr/portage less distdir and
27 packages is what you need; but, as already mentioned, you can simply roll
28 back a day by grabbing yesterday's snapshot fro one of the mirrors.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniuet!!!