From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cross Compiling in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:28:33
1 On 1/17/2012 08:39 AM, Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 1/17/2012 1:55 AM, Chris Walters wrote:
3 >> that have make files for MS Visual Studio. I have no interest in purchasing
4 >> Visual Studio.
5 >
6 > Just a point of interest: "Visual Studio" doesn't use Makefiles; Visual C++ can
7 > import Makefile projects if you ask it to, but it has its own project file
8 > format. If you're seeing actual make files (and not, say, a .sln file or .cproj
9 > file) then you don't need Studio, just an nmake-compatible version of make.
10 >
11 > If you do have project and solution files from Visual Studio, they are just
12 > MSBuild projects (think "ant for Windows"). I'm pretty sure there are
13 > open-source variants of MSBuild, possibly in the Mono project?
14 >
15 > And of course, Visual C++ Express is free, though you'd need to find somewhere
16 > to set it up.
17
18 Just a note: I used to do all of my programming in Visual Studio. I stopped
19 when I needed to do things that VS wouldn't let me do, and also because I
20 discovered GNU/Linux.
21
22 As for the types of files I've seen, I have seen both VS Solution/Project
23 files, and nmake files. Most of the time, I just use the configure script with
24 x86_64-w64-mingw32 as my host, and it works fine.
25
26 Do you, by chance, know where I can find an nmake-compatible version of make?
27 Also, do you have a link for Visual C++ Express? I like to do most programming
28 in C/C++ anyway (though this is OT).
29
30 Thanks for your reply, it was enlightening... When I did most of my
31 programming, portability was not an issue - now it is virtually a must.
32
33 Chris
36 ---
37 avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
38 Virus Database (VPS): 120117-0, 01/17/2012
39 Tested on: 1/17/2012 9:26:56 AM
40 avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2012 AVAST Software.