From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} New CPU for my motherboard
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:34:48
1 On Friday 08 September 2006 17:59, Grant wrote:
2
3 > My main concern is the memory. My motherboad supports PC100 memory as
4 > well as a 133fsb although it's not running at that speed now. I'll
5 > have to crank it up to 133fsb to support the Tualatin CPU,
6
7 In that case, you should buy as much 133MHz memory you can and install it
8 after you set the jumpers on your MoBo for 133 FSB.
9
10 The 100MHz RAM will work but drag everything down with it to 100MHz. That
11 said I am not sure if the speed difference is worth the cost of the faster
12 memory. You can google for some vintage hardware reviews to see what's the
13 performance difference. When I looked into upgrading my PIII 600MHz
14 Coppermine, I came to the conclusion that it was cheaper to buy a faster
15 machine from Ebay complete with memory and all. Most of these upgrades make
16 sense if you find a box with a totalled disk, RAM, CPU and use what's working
17 and suitable for your needs. The alternative can be false economy. On the
18 other hand there are IT fairs and back yard sales (depending where you live)
19 where you could pick up a bargain - a mate won't let me forget that he picked
20 up a 2.8GHz P4 from the streets of London two years ago and the only thing
21 wrong with it was a jammed CD in the CDRW drive!!! Lucky guy!
22
23 Good luck. :-)
24 --
25 Regards,