From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dispatch-conf, the big pic?
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 18:19:15
1 On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I realized I don't really understand it - I just repeat by rote some
3 > keystrokes. In particular:
4 >
5 > What do the 'z' and 'n' commands do exactly, and what's the difference
6 > between them?
7
8 The 'z' command throws away the new config file, leaving the existing
9 config file in place. Use this when you don't care about the changes
10 in the new file at all.
11
12 The 'n' command skips over the current file, and does nothing. If you
13 quit and re-run dispatch-conf, you should be prompted to do something
14 with the file again.
15
16 > After I do a 'm', how do I actually use the result of the merge? Is the
17 > merged file now the same as the 'new' one, or the same as the 'old' one?
18 > IOW, if I do 'm' and then 'z', will the merged version be the active
19 > one?
20
21 After completing the merge, use the 'u' command to use the merged
22 version. Use the 'z' command to throw away the merged version and
23 stick with the old file.