From: Rasmus Andersen <rasmus@×××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Limiting portage sync
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 09:12:59
1 On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 02:09:26AM +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 > I was just wondering, while watching an emerge --sync, is it possible (or
5 > advisable) to limit what portage syncs? For example, I have a server here
6 > that doesn't use X, kde, gnome, java, and a number of other fairly large
7 > areas of portage. It would be nice if I could speed up syncing by excluding
8 > these categories from the process.
9
10 I do this and find it works like a charm. The actual sync time is not an
11 issue for me since I have a decent connection but the 'updating cache'
12 time went down by at least 75% for me (old computer). Which made 'emerge
13 --sync' a lot less of a 'start this, go for lunch' command for me.
14
15 I have had a tiny amount of issues with this since I started approx. 4
16 years ago, the biggest issue is that since you lobotomize the metadata
17 tree you get some odd errors. But I find it worth it.
18
19 Cheers,
20 Rasmus
21 --