From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Retro ...
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 19:13:56
1 On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > curious about how that had felt in ancient times, when hardware
5 > and software were limited, I tried 'ed' - the one and only
6 > editor ;)
7 >
8 > One feature I cant figure out (and the reason for that may be, that it
9 > is not there... :) is:
10 >
11 > One has to specify the line, which s/he wants to edit. This is
12 > possible via regexp (which matches more than one line and may be
13 > not, what you want) and via line numbers.
14 >
15 > In case one wants to use line numbers:
16 > One can list the whole text to the console...but the line numbers
17 > are missing.
18 > The "visual version of ed" called 'vi' is able to preceed any line
19 > with a line number.
20 >
21 > Is this possible with ed?
22 > How does one know the number of a specific line?
23 >
24 > Or do I miss something very fundamental here ???
25 >
26 > Thanks for any help in advance!
27 > Best regards,
28 > Meino
33 You may find this manual, https://9p.io/7thEdMan/v7vol2a.pdf, for
34 research UNIX 7th edition of interest.
35 Amongst other things, it has a section called 'A Tutorial Introduction
36 to the UNIX Text Editor' written by Brian W. Kernighan of Bell Labs at
37 the time. You may then find a section called 'Advanced Editing on
38 UNIX' of further interest.