From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Mammoth emerge ...
Date: Thu, 03 May 2018 16:57:35
1 On 3 May 2018 16:41:55 BST, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 2018-05-03, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> OK, I know my laptop is quite old, or at least Intel thinks so, but
5 >emerging
6 >> chromium is now taking *much* longer than it ever did:
7 >
8 >A while back I accidentally broke the CPU throttling on my laptop, and
9 >it was always running at 1/4 speed. [That effected all emerges.] I'd
10 >start by doing a "grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo" during the build to verify
11 >that all the CPUs have open throttles.
12 >
13 >That said, I've noticed that Chromium in particular is taking a lot
14 >longer than it used to...
15
16 I had similar issues with swapping on an 8GB laptop.. Limiting the numbers of jobs helped but using jumbo-build more than halved the build time .
19 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.