From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo, new computer, still a bit confused
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:27:22
1 On Saturday 23 July 2011 16:11:20 Mick did opine thusly:
2 > > So, if I choose the amd64 iso and Stage 3, it doesn't have to be
3 > > on an AMD machine?
4 >
5 > Correct, you will use this iso (or systemrescueCD or Knoppix) and a
6 > Staqe 3 equivalent to build a system on an Intel 64bit CPU.
7
8 Just to flesh it out a bit more:
9
10 The name amd64 came about because it's the 64 bit instruction set that
11 AMD designed for their 64-bit chips. There was an earlier 64 bit cpu
12 from Intel, but we don't talk about it anymore (and it has nothing to
13 do with this topic).
14
15 Anyway, the name is a nod to the company that designed it, and has
16 nothing to do with the manufacturer of your CPU. Intel later had to
17 eat humble pie and implement AMD's design just to stay relevant in the
18 market, that's why 64 bit Intel chips run on an architecture that
19 Gentoo calls amd64.
20
21 The 32 bit design is called x86 because that was the general name in
22 use for 20+ years prior. Most other distros call the amd64 design by
23 the name x86_64 or similar, Gentoo is the most visible exception.
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com