From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] big problem, small solution
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:58:17
1 Hardware problems come up here occasionally & experiences deserve swapping.
2
3 Gentoo involves much exercise of the CPU, sometimes making it sweat a lot.
4 My AMD 2500+ CPU (installed 2003) has been getting hotter & the fan slower.
5 Here in the summer heat of S Ontario, where my workroom is >= 25 C ,
6 it had been running at a steady 64 C for a couple of weeks (was 55 C ).
7 When I tried to emerge GCC 4.1.1 , it reached > 75 C & the box died;
8 several attempts, the same auto switch-off. No fans to fit at the store
9 & all available CPUs are 64-bit nowadays, ie build another machine.
10
11 So I opened up the box, removed the fan & the heat-sink,
12 blew & wiped all the dust away, smeared on some silicon heat-conductor
13 carefully kept from the original package 3 years ago, put it back together.
14
15 Now the fan is running at 4400 RPM (was 4000 ) & the CPU is at 51 C ,
16 rising only to 58 C while successfully compiling GCC 4.1.1 .
17 Hopefully, I won't need to build a new machine till well into 2007 .
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list