From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Checking sanity of system...
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 08:00:51
1 On 04/04/2010 10:07 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> [10-04-04 08:28]:
3 >> On 04/04/2010 08:18 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> this is no security issue in sense of attacks...it is related
8 >>> to the consistency of the system.
9 >>>
10 >>> Simple question (and may be complicate to answer... ;) )
11 >>>
12 >>> How can I check, that my Gentoo system is uptodate
13 >>
14 >> emerge --sync&& emerge -uDN world
17 >>> consistent and sane?
18 >>
19 >> Define "consistent" and "sane". Those words don't say anything,
20 >> really.
23 > Ok...
24 >
25 > Consistency: Following each logical branch of each logical tree of control relationship,
26 > which is for example but not only the tree of dependancies, will end in a
27 > leave. These are the control paths.
28 >
29 > Sane: Following each logical branch of each logical tree of data
30 > relationships. which is for example but not only the interaction of scripts under
31 > /etc, will end in a leave. These are the data paths.
32
33 These are very abstract things you speak of. But I guess it boils down
34 to "are there bugs in my system."
35
36 Yes, there are. All software has bugs. There is a tool to check
37 whether there are bugs: you. You use the software and check whether it
38 works correctly or not.
39
40 For anything more specific, you also need to be more specific with your
41 questions. :)