From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Resetting USB flash
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 00:01:30
1 On Friday 04 Jan 2013 22:31:53 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 16:32:14 +0000
3 >
4 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > I was trying to zero out a USB stick and at some point it seems to
6 > > have locked itself up. By that I mean that for all intends and
7 > > purposes I cannot write to it in any conceivable way.
8 > >
9 > > I tried to delete /dev/sdb1 with c/fdisk, the dd zeros
10 > > into /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb and also the first 512B to delete the
11 > > partition table, but nothing seems to work.
12 > >
13 > > /dev/sdb1 is still there no matter how I try to
14 > > delete/format/overwrite it.
15 > >
16 > > Is there a way of resetting whatever needs resetting in the USB flash
17 > > chip to make it work again?
18 >
19 > USB sticks don't last long. When they do that, they are nuked.
20 >
21 > They cost about as much as a packet of smokes. Chuck it in the bin, buy
22 > a new one, move on. It's not worth the time to even attempt to fix it.
23
24 Yep, you're right. I have come to the conclusion that it is terminal. Out of
25 sheer good luck I ran a backup just a day before it croaked! :-)
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick