From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Soft scrolling on framebuffer consoles - New version of the patch - with GPM handling.
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 09:43:26
1 Morning Alan,
2
3 On Thursday, 29 December 2022 19:50:18 GMT Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4
5 > I've got a first version of a patch which attempts to handle GPM in
6 > conjunction with scrolling. It's imperfect - for example, I can't get it
7 > to select anything the first 66 lines of the console's displayed boot-up
8 > messages. Nevertheless it may be useful.
9 >
10 > In particular, moving the mouse over an already scrolled area no longer
11 > corrupts that area. Also, one can select text from a scrolled area.
12 >
13 > To use it, please apply the supplied patch ON TOP OF the patch I posted
14 > here on 12th December. Proceed as documented in that post, up until
15 > configuring the kernel - in Device drivers/Graphic support/Console
16 > display driver support, there's an extra item "Enable a working GPM for
17 > scrolled back scrollback buffer in System RAM" which should be enabled by
18 > default. Check this is set up properly. Then build and install the
19 > kernel. Then reboot into it and try it out.
20 >
21 > Note that it uses ~twice as much memory as the previous scrolling
22 > buffers, giving a total of ~three times as much memory used. This
23 > shouldn't really be a problem on a modern machine with 16GB or 32GB of
24 > RAM.
25 >
26 > Please let me know of any problems you encounter with this new facility,
27 > so that I can try to fix them. Thanks!
28
29 Bad news, I'm afraid. After following your instructions carefully, the new
30 kernel hangs early in the boot process. The first time I tried it it seemed to
31 be just as the first HID message had been displayed; the second time I didn't
32 see that (could be my eyes).
33
34 I've attached a photo of the console.
38 Regards,
39 Peter.

PXL_20221231_093123131.jpg image/jpeg