From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [HEADS UP] udev-181
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:57:39
1 On 03/19/2012 08:15 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I just had a bit of a scare after updating to udev-181, but
4 >> all is well now, finally. (I hope :)
5 >>
6 >> In addition to the separate /usr problem that has already
7 >> been discussed at length here, there are other important
8 >> changes in udev-181 to be aware of.
9 >>
10 >> First, I had to add two new items to my kernel config:
11 >> CONFIG_DEV_TMPFS (which I thought I'd had for years but didn't)
12 >> and CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL. I also elected to make the devfs
13 >> automounting, but I don't think that was really necessary.
14 >>
15 >> Second, don't forget like I did to update the udev initscripts
16 >> with etc-update or your machine won't be able to find the udev
17 >> files in their new locations (just like mine didn't) and none
18 >> of your kernel modules will auto-load, either.
19 >>
20 >> Oh, and of course you need to pre-mount /usr before udev starts
21 >> if you have a separate /usr partition -- but you already knew
22 >> that ;)
23 >
24 > Is there an ENOTICE warning in the ebuild to hit people over the head
25 > with these?
26 >
27 > Also, how trivial would it be to have the ebuild check the running
28 > kernel config (if available under /proc or wherever) for the necessary
29 > config options?
30
31 Yes, I found out about the added kernel config items from the ENOTICE,
32 but I wanted to point out that it needs to be done *before* you reboot
33 or you'll be in trouble. Even better if you do it before you update
34 udevd, I'd say.
35
36 If the warning to run etc-update appeared, I missed it :( which I
37 usually don't.