From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:24:03
1 On Thursday 26 Jan 2012 16:04:45 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:34:56AM -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
3 > > >>> I guess you mean https://panopticlick.eff.org/
4 > > >>
5 > > >> My results from work:
6 > > >>
7 > > >> Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 1,939,102
8 > > >> tested so far.
9 > > >>
10 > > >> Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that
11 > > >> conveys at least 20.89 bits of identifying information.
12 > > >
13 > > > Funny, I get exactly the same thing except add one to the large number.
14 > > > I guess you tested before I did. How does one avoid this but still
15 > > > have sites work?
16 > >
17 > > Well, I just went to the same site using a Chrome 'incognito' browser,
18 > >
19 > > and got this:
20 > > Within our dataset of several million visitors, only one in 969,560
21 > > browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.
22 > > Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that
23 > > conveys 19.89 bits of identifying information.
24 >
25 > I get almost the same numbers with just using NoScript and Flashblock. (And
26 > the above result when I allow the Java applet and JavaScript).
27 >
28 > This backs me up in using noscript and flashblock. Sometimes I doubt myself
29 > when I get asked once more why I would use NoScript in times when most of
30 > the web relies on JS. I then say that privacy and comfort is more
31 > important to me than having to allow JS on a site from time to time. (Even
32 > though some sites obviously don't work without it, such as video portals,
33 > most of them still do, albeit some gt a borked layout from it).
34
35 I get better results with Opera (with everything other than Cookies enabled):
36
37 only one in 215,475 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.
38
39 Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 17.72
40 bits of identifying information.
41 --
42 Regards,
43 Mick