From: Paul Sobey <buddha@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Confused - vmx cpuflag missing
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 12:59:29
1 >> Hey Guys,
2 >>
3 >> I'm trying to get a hypervisor running. I've installed Gentoo 64bit on a
4 >> new(ish) HP XW6400. When booted with the minimal install CD,
5 >> /proc/cpuinfo
6 >> shows:
7 >
8 > <bla bla>
9 >
10 > Just build a stock (gentoo-sources) kernel on the same machine, and the
11 > vmx flag is there, along with a whole load of others. Now I'm really
12 > confused! I only care about that flag when I'm running a Xen kernel!
13 > Anybody got any ideas?
14
15 Well, don't I feel like an idiot. VT was disabled in the BIOS, under an
16 obscure 'OS Security' menu option. I was thrown off the scent because of
17 the difference in cpu flags shown under stock linux vs. linux running as
18 dom0 under Xen. Apparently Xen isolates some of the machine capabilities
19 from even dom0. For anybody having similar troubles - xm dmesg | grep -i
20 vmx will show you definitely whether VMX has been picked up or not. You're
21 looking for:
22
23 (XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
24