From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 12:10:36
1 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 02/08/13 08:28, Dale wrote:
3 >> Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Except it isn't because as already explained, eudev makes additional
6 >>> changes on top of udev changes.
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>> Which is true.
10 >>
11 >> Let's see them. I'll help you:
12 >>
13 >> https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=eudev&list_id=1920856
14 >
15 > Help yourself instead and use correct search parameters, like below...
16 >
17 >>>
18 >>>> let's see them. Based on your posts, there should be plenty of them.
19 >>>> Funny I haven't ran into any of them yet tho.
20 >>>
21 >>> I'm not suprised, because the current status is so similar between
22 >>> udev vs. eudev. Only regression that's known currently is
23 >>> IUSE="+rule-generator" that doesn't do it's job correctly and
24 >>> 70-persistent-net.rules it is generating can't be trusted.
25 >>
26 >> So still no links to any bug reports that are eudev specific huh? See
27 >> above.
28 >
29 > Search bugzilla for udev-bugs@g.o and 90% of them apply also to
30 > eudev.
31 > Search bugzilla for eudev@g.o and those all apply.
32 > Search eudev github page Tickets and those all apply.
33
34 You mean like this:
35
36 https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=eudev%40gentoo.org&list_id=1921198
39 Results:
40
41 "Zarro Boogs found."
42
43 No open bugs!! When I look for open bugs for a package, I look for the
44 package name itself. That has worked for ages and my search actually
45 did turn up one stable request where yours didn't.
48 >>>
49 >>>> Here is the deal OK. Udev went in a direction I do NOT like.
50 >>>
51 >>> What direction is that? Everything same is in sys-fs/udev than is in
52 >>> sys-fs/eudev, except the buggy rule-generator.
53 >>>
54 >>>> I CHOSE not to use it and plan to not use it. I PREFER eudev whether
55 >>>> you like
56 >>>> that decision or not. I also plan to use eudev as long as it
57 >>>> serves my
58 >>>> needs as I suspect others will as well. You can preach FUD all you
59 >>>> want
60 >>>> but it works here for me and as others have posted, it works fine for
61 >>>> them. The OP asked for assistance in switching to eudev not for
62 >>>> you to
63 >>>> second guess their choice or to second guess anyone else who
64 >>>> chooses to
65 >>>> use it.
66 >>>
67 >>> I feel pity for you, too bad the eudev in tree causes such level of
68 >>> ignorance.
69 >>>
70 >>> - Samuli
71 >>>
72 >>>
75 >> Here is some FUD for you. Eudev just left beta. From the eudev
76 >> changelog.
77 >>
78 >> *eudev-1.2 (01 Aug 2013)
79 >>
80 >> 01 Aug 2013; Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> +eudev-1.2.ebuild,
81 >> -eudev-1.2_beta.ebuild:
82 >> version bump, remove beta
83 >
84 > And how did they get there?
85 > By udev maintainers forcing them to upgrade to the new keymap hwdb
86 > which required version to be raised to up-to-par with udev-206.
87 >
88 > Anyway, have fun with pointless udev fork which will never be the
89 > default. I don't care if you don't want the system up-to-par with
90 > production level system. :-)
91 >
92 > - Samuli
96 They got there by fixing issues and it reaching stable. That is how
97 they got there. You don't know that and you are telling others what to
98 use for their system? Really? Who exactly do you think you are
99 anyway? Did someone appoint you Gentoo King or something? Here is
100 where we will always differ, I decide on my machine what I use, NOT
101 YOU. If I don't like a piece of software and CHOSE to use something
102 else, you don't get a say in the matter. Got it? Eudev forked from
103 udev, get over it.
104
105 I'm not in the mood for someone shoving something down my throat. That
106 goes for Lennart and you too. I use eudev, and I plan to do so as long
107 as it serves my needs. The only one spreading FUD here is you.
108
109 Since you are way off the mark of what the OP asked for, why not go
110 write a blog or something. Maybe go write a blog for Lennart instead of
111 trying to push your agenda here. The OP came here for help to switch to
112 eudev not to hear you shove your agenda. He/she already made their
113 choice as have others.
114
115 Dale
116
120 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!