From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why we no Heroku?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:21:45
1 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:44:44PM +0000, Daniel Quinn wrote:
2 > I wanted to start fiddling with Heroku <https://heroku.com/>, so
3 > naturally the first thing I tried was
4 >
5 > |$ eix heroku |
6 >
7 > …but alas there was nothing. So I poked around their site to see how one
8 > might install their client manually and the instructions
9 > <https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/getting-started-with-python#set-up>
10 > are the typically horrifying:
11 >
12 > |# wget -qO- https://toolbelt.heroku.com/install.sh | sh |
13 >
14 > The thing is, a quick look at what that || sh| is actually doing isn’t
15 > all that terrifying. Basically it untars a bunch of ruby scripts into a
16 > directory and then puts the path to the |heroku| “binary” (a ruby
17 > script) in your $PATH. Surely, this is a good candidate for an ebuild, yes?
18
19 Yup, seems pretty good. Probably doable with a very simple ebuild, since
20 all its dependencies are already in the portage tree.
21
22 > So I thought I’d ask: am I missing something, or is this really as easy
23 > as it looks? Is this just waiting for someone to write an ebuild?
24
25 Well, the heroku client seems to be moving in the same direction as
26 vagrant[1], although hasn't gone nearly as far yet. In the heroku
27 gemspec, there is a post install message that warns gem install is
28 deprecated. I'm not terribly familiar with ruby, but it looks like it
29 should still be installable from source.
30
31 > Bugzilla has nothing
32 > <https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=heroku> about it, but I
33 > can’t believe that Heroku use hasn’t come up before in Gentoo land.
34
35 I can. Ruby is not nearly as well supported in Gentoo as python is. An
36 average ruby developer wanting to use the heroku client would most
37 likely already be using either rbenv or rvm already, and would probably
38 run `gem install heroku' without even looking if an ebuild exists. My
39 roommate certainly would do this; he runs Gentoo, but solely uses
40 bundler and rbenv to manage ruby stuff (except for installing the
41 interpreter itself).
42
43 Alec
44
45 [1] vagrant used to be installable as a gem (and therefore not terrible
46 to package), but then the authors decided that it would be way to
47 difficult to support all these people with all these versions of
48 different libraries, so they would make it difficult to manually package
49 and only ship installers with bundled deps.