From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4 reserved space and defragmentation?
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:25:30
1 On Sunday 27 June 2010 10:27:13 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Besides, reserving some space for root can save your rear-end in case
3 > some user fills up your root partition. As long as root's processes
4 > still have a bit of disk space available, he can still log in and clean
5 > up the mess.
6 >
7 > I agree with you that reserving 5% of several TB is too much for these
8 > purposes. I think reducing it to a few 100MB is sufficient.
9
10 This is correct, ext2 was set up like that in the beginning and it hasn't
11 changed since.
12
13 Those were the days when 200M drives were BIG and reserving 10M for root was
14 enough for the purpose.
18 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com