From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching adapter - power supply
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 22:57:12
1 On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM, <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Or take one of the old PS from an old case and solder the tip to 12V
4 > line is better solution?
7 One point that should be noted on this idea... as long as it cooperates, it
8 should last pretty much forever, but your draw at the wall will likely be
9 much, much, higher than it is now since the ~50-60W max you're drawing from
10 it is so much lower than an older PSU is designed for (and efficiency drops
11 the further from the load it's designed for you go, in either direction).
12 The other issue I'm aware of is that a PC's PSU is designed with a minimum
13 load, and they can have unstable/incorrect output if that load's not met. I
14 would expect any PSU made in the past several years (where actual power
15 draw of a basic desktop has dropped significantly) to be fine with the load
16 you're throwing at it, but it's something to verify, especially if it's a
17 meaningfully older PSU. Typically, the place you see that problem crop up
18 is using a PSU for bench power, and running small embedded, very low power
19 (i.e. Arduino and the like) hardware off of it.
20
21 Whichever way you go, good luck!
24 Poison [BLX]
25 Joshua M. Murphy