From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 7800 GTX: opensource driver stable?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:40:33
1 On 11/17/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > My other concerns are how well is the mobo supported under linux? Since gaming
3 > systems run hot, cooling and lm_sensors support seems critical in putting
4 > together a gaming system.
5
6 I haven't run across any new system that actually supported lm_sensors
7 in about 5 years. Most modern chipsets seem to expose processor
8 temperatures and some fan settings through ACPI. Somehow gkrellm is
9 also able to detect the GPU temperature in my system, but I haven't
10 figured out how yet... :-)
11
12 > I not whether I should used a 'water cooler' or if
13 > force air cooling is sufficient. If I used a water cooler, should it also cool
14 > the gpu on the graphics card?
15
16 Air cooling is sufficient if you have a good case (/richard smiles at
17 his Antec P150). The main reason to use water coolers is to reduce
18 the noise of the system, so you can use a much larger (and slower thus
19 quieter) fan to cool the GPU(s). AMD procs run fairly cool, and both
20 the case and CPU fans on my AMD X2 4400 system are basically silent
21 even under high load. But the system isn't anywhere near silent,
22 because of that damn GPU fan.
23
24 -Richard
25 --