From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: has anyone tried KDE5?
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 16:27:29
1 On 05/10/2014 17:50, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > On 10/06/2014 02:35 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 10/5/2014 11:01 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> I'd be interested to know what KDE negatives you've
5 >>> experienced/heard in the past though.
6 >>
7 >> Bloat, buggy/unstable ever since the move from KDE3 to KDE4 (and never
8 >> really gotten any better over time), etc...
9 >>
10 >> But of course there are always haters too... I'm sure it isn't as bad as
11 >> the loudest complainers make it sound...
15 > There were definitely issues in KDE 4 early days but there have been
16 > substantial improvements since then. Regarding bloat/performance, this
17 > biggest complaints seem to be about nepomuk/baloo. We provide the
18 > semantic-desktop USE flag to provide the option of disabling this
19 > feature wherever it's possible.
22 People do complain about nepomuk/baloo, but in my opinion it's mostly
23 unwarranted. The first indexing action did always take a long time (and
24 so does mlocate) but once that's done, I found it didn't really impact
25 the system all that much.
26
27 My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
28 thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
29 could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
30 managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
31 switched to claws and several years later switched again to Thunderbird.
32
33 I keep reading reports that kdepim is nowadays so much better and
34 stable, but to be frank I do not trust it, and likely never will. I also
35 understand this is not entirely logical, but it's just the way it is.
36
37 The rest of KDE I find to be very usable and rather pleasant to use. My
38 sole remaining gripe is lack of stored sessions in dolphin :-)
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com