From: Craig Zeigler <craig@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wpc54g card as AP -- works?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:30:10
1 Eugene Rosenzweig wrote:
2
3 > Fernando Meira wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> I wanted to provide wireless connection to the internet for other
8 >> laptops at home.
9 >> To do this, one laptop is connected via eth0 and wlan0 should work as
10 >> AP to all others.
11 >> I have been following the
12 >> HOWTO:http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Building_a_Wireless_Access_Point_With_Gentoo
13 >> and trying to find solution in forums... but I can't get it working.
14 >> The wireless card is working with ndiswrapper.
15 >> When I try to set it to Master, I get this:
16 >> # iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
17 >> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
18 >> SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
19 >>
20 >> Does this means that the card is unable to perform the task I want,
21 >> or what am I doing wrong?
22 >> Is there any other HOWTO with better instructions? Or anyone that can
23 >> provide me a step-by-step configuration?
24 >>
25 >> Thanks in advance.
26 >> Fernando.
29 > The way I understand it, the ability to work in AP mode is determined
30 > by the drivers which must implement the SoftAP protocols (master
31 > mode). So, you need to know which chipset and which drivers you are
32 > using for your card (a lot of manufacturers, including Linksys, change
33 > their wireless chipsets often, without changing the product model).
34 > Then you can find out if the drivers support the master mode.
35 >
36 > Eugene.
37 >
38 This is a pretty cool idea, but I wonder what the range on something
39 like this is. Considering that the transmitting capability of a PCMCIA
40 card isn't very high. Do you risk burning out the card or the slot by
41 forcing more power to it? will the PCMCIA bus permit diverting more
42 power to a card?
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list