From: Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 05:01:36
1 On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 7:59 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Manuel McLure wrote:
4 >
5 > On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 7:12 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Howdy,
8 >>
9 >> I'm looking at printers. ... This is the model.
10 >> Brother HL-L3270CDW
13 > Looking at the specs for that Brother printer (I don't know why you linked
14 > to the openprinting.org page for a Lexmark printer) it seems to have the
15 > most important aspect for Linux compatibility - PCL6 emulation (PostScript
16 > would also work, but you want to avoid anything that doesn't have one of
17 > those two). It also has normal port 9100 network connectivity, so it should
18 > work just fine under Linux for B/W. I can't find anything in the
19 > Openprinting database for that specific Brother printer, some of the other
20 > entries for Brother printers say you need a proprietary driver to get color
21 > out of them. The entry for the *HL-3170* says it works perfectly but gives
22 > no details. So I'd be a little wary going in.
23 >
24 > As for duty cycle, 30,000 pages/month is the same that my old
25 > built-like-a-tank HP Laserjet 4Mp had, so I wouldn't worry about it. Note
26 > that the printer is going to come with "starter cartridges" that are only
27 > good for about 1000 pages, and that the drum is also a consumable that
28 > needs replacing after 18,000 pages. But 18,000 pages is a lot.
29 > --
30 > Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
31 > ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
32 > no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft
36 > I think I linked to the wrong page. I was looking up a lot of printers
37 > and must have got it mixed up. Makes me wonder if I picked the wrong
38 > printer too. LOL You are correct tho, it isn't listed. Time to find
39 > another printer.
40 >
41 > Knowing about the PCL6 part will help. I didn't know that would be
42 > important. Also, I'd rather have one that I can install with CUPS and its
43 > drivers or HPLIP. It's been a while since I've had a printer and switching
44 > to laser is something that is new territory as well.
45 >
46 > Question. I see some that are regular laser printers. Then I see some
47 > that are laser jet. Looking up the cartridges it seems to use toner.
48 > Another reason I want toner based is that if a page gets wet or damp, the
49 > toner doesn't run like most ink jet printers do. Am I correct that a laser
50 > or a laser jet would serve that purpose the same? It seems it just uses a
51 > different method to put the toner on the page or something. I googled and
52 > what little I found sort of makes me think that would be fine.
53 >
54 > I'm open to ideas on this. I've always bought HP in the past but as long
55 > as it prints fine with either HPLIP or CUPS, I'm fine with it. Brother
56 > would be fine, Lexmark to if it works. I know some printers are more Linux
57 > friendly than others. I honestly wish I could find a used printer locally
58 > but not sure how to do that around here.
59 >
60 > Thanks much for the info. Me makes note to check that PCL6 in the
61 > future. ;-)
64 Don't worry about laser vs. Laserjet. "Laserjet" is just HP's name for
65 their laser printer line. So all HP laser printers are called "Laserjet"
66 but they're just the same as any other laser printer.
67
68 There are actually two ways a "laser" printer can create an image: it can
69 use a laser (duh) or it can use an array of very small LEDs (mostly Okidata
70 printers). From a user's perspective, they're both the same. The important
71 bit is that they project that light onto a photosensitive drum that picks
72 up toner particles and transfers them to paper, where they get heated and
73 fused into the paper fibers. This is much the same way photocopiers used to
74 work (nowadays most photocopiers are just a scanner attached to a laser
75 printer).
76
77 The important bit is the language the printer speaks. There are two main
78 languages spoken by laser printers: PCL and PostScript. Both are
79 technically proprietary (PCL is from HP, PostScript is from Adobe) but
80 there are a lot of printers that emulate these languages. You want to run
81 far and fast from any printer that supports neither of these languages -
82 those are generally known as Winprinters and require special drivers.
83 PostScript is the more "UNIX-compatible" of the two - many programs on
84 UNIX/Linux will generate PostScript and pass that to CUPS. If the printer
85 supports PostScript, CUPS can pass the print file straight to the printer,
86 otherwise it needs to use Ghostscript to convert the Postscript input into
87 whatever the destination printer supports. Because so many laser printers
88 either include true PCL (i.e. HP printers) or emulate PCL (like that
89 Brother) the support for PCL in CUPS is very good. However, I have only
90 used Ghostscript->PCL with black and white. I don't know exactly what
91 issues there might be with color support, so I can't help much there.
92
93 That Lexmark looks excellent on the compatibility front - it has both PCL6
94 _and_ Postscript as well as standard port 9100 connectivity. It's only
95 rated for 5000 pages a month, but that's still plenty for home use.
96
97 Hope this helps...
98 --
99 Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
100 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
101 no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft