From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wifi, problem, problem, problem
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:54:03
1 On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:08:21 +0100, Florian HEGRON wrote:
2
3 > Anybody can explain to me the firmware goal ?
4 >
5 > For me a firmware is a internal software of a device. So I don't really
6 > understand.
7
8 Manufacturers often move some of the internal software from the device to
9 the driver, especially when they sell the same device in markets with
10 different regulations. The firmware is built into the Windows drivers so
11 they can produce one device for all markets and only change the supplied
12 drivers.
13
14 It also makes bug fixing easier, so they can spend less time and money on
15 testing, letting the users find the bugs and fix firmware issues with
16 driver updates.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Microsoft is to Software as McDonalds is to Cuisine