From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - SSL certificate authorities
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:54:18
1 On Tuesday 15 November 2005 14:43, Antoine wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > We are going to set up ssl on a webserver at work and I guess that means
4 > we need a certificate... does anyone have any useful alternatives to
5 > Verisign? Are they really worth the name?
6 > We are not going to be doing any monetary transactions but our clients
7 > are very security conscious (who isn't!) and I have no experience in
8 > these matters. I am certain the boss will want verisign, as he buys a
9 > lot of stuff just for the name but if I can offer him a comparable
10 > alternative at a fraction of the cost he may go for it.
11 > Cheers
12 > Antoine
13
14 Well, from a security aspect, you can't get more secure than being your own
15 ca. you sign all your own certificates. of course, then the clients will
16 see that your ca isn't trusted, but who the hell trusts verisign these days?
17 not me. not after that search engine crud they pulled a few years ago.
20 John Jolet
21 Your On-Demand IT Department
22 512-762-0729
23 www.jolet.net