From: Alan Mckinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 07:10:21
1 On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 12:40 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 8/23/06, Alan Mckinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
3 > > Can you be absolutely certain I'm wrong? Can you absolutely guarantee
4 > > that a recompile with a different config MUST be treated differently to
5 > > an upgrade?
6 >
7 > We are still talking about CFLAGS here, right? Then ok, no, it is not
8 > _necessary_ to treat this differently than an upgrade in gcc versions.
9 > One can happily run "emerge -e system; emerge -e world" and get to
10 > the same result. But that doesn't change the fact that the emerge -e
11 > system step is redundant _in this case_.
12
13 I'd like to suggest at this point that we drop this thread. Because you
14 and I both understand the compile process well, but we seemed to have
15 gotten the wires crossed a few posts back and are talking about slightly
16 different scenarios.
17
18 You are right in saying that in this case, emerge -e system is
19 redundant, but your average gentoo-newbie is in no state to understand
20 why, or even care :-)
21
22 Besides, I really need to get going on figuring out why Sybase ASE won't
23 install here and play nicely with php5....
24
25 alan
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list