From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Home mail server problems.
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:53:24
1 On 7/6/05, Scott Llewellyn <mirv@××××××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 > I plan on calling them. Unfortantly there is no one there at 4 am! I was
3 > just curious it port 25 being closed would be the reason I couldn't recieve
4 > email in the first place.
5 >
6 > Scott
7
8 Scott,
9 I didn't have a chance to read this thread but I'd be careful about
10 calling them if you are on any form of a home-oriented service
11 network. Most of the home ones, mine being Comcast for instance, have
12 specific clauses about two things:
13
14 1) You are not allowed to register their IP address with any domain service.
15 2) You are not allowed to run any 'servers' that are accessible from
16 the general Internet.
17
18 To run a mail server I believe that it would be typical to break both
19 of those clauses. I know one individual who claims he had his account
20 shut down for apparently even asking questions related to this topic.
21 I don't have any way to know if that's really true but he still grips
22 about it over beer. (Of course we gripe about many things. Yada yada
23 yada...) ;-)
24
25 If none of this applies to your specific ISP then I apologize for
26 using bandwidth.
27
28 With best regards,
29 Mark