From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] stage3 does not have Gentoo signing keys, which is unacceptable!
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 06:18:08
1 Yesterday, I have found out that the first invocation
2 of emerge-webrsync command can not download
3 a snapshot of the portage tree if webrsync-gpg
4 feature has been set in make.conf because stage3
5 does not have Gentoo signing keys and I can not
6 install Gentoo package with Gentoo signing keys
7 because there is no portage tree in stage3.
8 (Just to remind: according to Gentoo handbook,
9 the first invocation of emege-webrsync
10 command is done after chrooting.)
11
12 After disabling webrsync-gpg feature in make.conf
13 emerge-wibrsync command worked as described in
14 Gentoo handbook. However, as a result, the
15 downloaded portage tree has not been verified!
16
17 So, Gentoo handbook contains instructions that
18 lead to downloading and using unverified portage
19 tree that is unacceptable, especially taking into
20 account the security issues Gentoo already had
21 this year!
22
23 P.S. I now recall that I hit the same issue in 2013
24 and earlier this year as well. Than I had to download,
25 verify and untar a snapshot of the portage tree before
26 chrooting, what never has been described
27 in the Gentoo handbook.