From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone using open-vm-tools w/ESXi?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:56:01
1 On 2014-01-15 9:11 PM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > These are all virtualized under ESXi now so I did some reconfiguration
3 > and decided to add open-vm-tools for shutdown support through the host.
4 > All items for vmware are built into the kernel, and the VMs are working
5 > as they should.
6 >
7 > Well, except for starting vmware-tools:
8 >
9 > vmsvc[1297]: [ warning] [GLib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance
10 >
11 > vmsvc[1297]: [critical] [GLib-GObject] g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion
12 > `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
13 >
14 > I've tried rebuilding glib but no luck. I haven't tried changing the USE
15 > flags on glib as of yet (just thought of that now, actually...) It
16 > doesn't seem to affect the host shutdown (which is what I initially
17 > wanted) but it probably shouldn't be crashing. I have a feeling it may
18 > have something to do with VMCI.
19
20 Did you mean it doesn't seem to affect the GUEST shutdown?
21
22 And do the tools actually successfuly start after those warnings?
23
24 This is something I'm getting ready to tackle myself so am very
25 interested...
26
27 My primary concern is that the host (ESXi 5.0) can safely shut down my
28 gentoo guest. Obviously I too would prefer not to have any ugly
29 warnings, unless they are indeed harmless.