From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] World update and dev-lang/python-exec weirdness...
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 15:12:25
1 * Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> [140308 09:46]:
2 > Ok, I don't understand this...
3 >
4 > If I do an emerge -pvuDN world, it tells me I only need to update (among
5 > a few other things) ONE version of dev-lang/python-exec: (2.0.1 to -r1).
6 >
7 > I then tried to selectively update just the kernel, and it complains
8 > about python-exec-2.0.1 being masked, so I add that to the emerge command:
9 >
10 > emerge -pvuDN dev-lang/python-exec gentoo-sources
11 >
12 > This results in no blockers, BUT, NOW it wants to update TWO versions of
13 > python-exec: dev-lang/python-exec 2.0.1 AND dev-lang/python-exec-0.3.1
14 > (to -r1).
15 >
16 > First question is, why does a plain emerge -pvuDN world NOT want to
17 > update both of these?
18 >
19 > Second questions is, do I even NEED both of these? Or can (or more
20 > importantly, SHOULD) I just emerge -C dev-lang/python-exec-0.3.1?
21 >
22 > Thanks,
23 >
24 > Charles
25
26 Hi Charles,
27
28 dev-lang/python-exec is slotted (I have slot 0 and 2 on my system.)
29
30 I assume when you do the emerge -pvuDN world it only tells you about
31 slot 2 because there's only a dependency on slot 2. When you ask it to
32 emerge dev-lang/python-exec it tries to emerge for all slots (I'm not
33 sure, someone please correct me if that's not what's happening.)
34
35 But I had a problem where something using python-exec needed to be
36 rebuilt. Run an emerge -pvutDN world (add the -t option to see the tree
37 of dependencies) and look for what wants the masked python-exec. Then
38 rebuild that manually.
39
40 I'm running ~x86 btw.
41