From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~and64] Headsup for google-chrome users
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 07:53:35
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 22 May 2015 00:49:54 Dale wrote:
3 >> Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM, <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> [...]
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> Then, after I figured out that CONFIG_USER_NS is a kernel config item,
10 >>>>> requiring reinstallation of my kernel, I wasted more time figuring out
11 >>>>> (for the n'th time) that you shouldn't just change a single kernel
12 >>>>> config item and do "make" because that shortcut can break important
13 >>>>> things.
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> No, you should do "make clean" first, and then do "make" etc.
16 >>>> [...]
17 >>>>
18 >>>> I haven't done a "make clean" for years when I compiled a kernel and I
19 >>>> never had any problems.
20 >>> Then you have not made any critical config changes, or you have been very
21 >>> lucky.
22 >> Then so have I. I have changed one thing a lot of times over the years,
23 >> run make and it work fine. Most of the time, it is when emerge spits
24 >> out that a option is needed for a package to work. Honestly, this is
25 >> the first time I recall hearing this should even be done.
26 >>
27 >> Dale
28 >>
29 >> :-) :-)
30 > I knew it should be done, but thought it ought to be done when you want to
31 > start with a clean slate and I didn't know if I needed to do this, or what a
32 > clean slate involved exactly.
33 >
34 > Since I run 'make oldconfig' I always assumed that I don't need a clean slate,
35 > plus updating minor versions takes seconds.
36 >
37 > So I'm the 3rd one in row to state that I haven't had any deleterious effects
38 > that I noticed.
42 When I first emerge a new kernel, I run make mrproper to get a good
43 clean start. I then copy my old config over to the new kernel. After
44 that, I don't run clean or mrproper again for that version. If I change
45 something, I run menuconfig, make the change, run make all && make
46 modules_install and then copy it over. I don't even want to try and
47 count the number of times I've changed just one setting because some
48 package needed it before it would update. Sometimes, I may change a
49 kernel several times before I update to a new version.
50
51 I been doing this the same way ever since about 2003. As some know, if
52 it would cause a problem, I should have found it by now, at least once.
53 ;-)
54
55 Dale
56