From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Finding orphaned libs
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:54:01
1 Mike Kazantsev wrote:
2 > On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:27:39 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> Also, be careful when you parse the output of the command. Most of the
7 >>> .pyc and .pyo files in the python2.5 directories are byte-compiled
8 >>> version that python generated dynamically the first time they are
9 >>> used. For example: ..../Numeric/numeric_version.py was installed by
10 >>> the ebuild and thuse qfile tells me it belongs to dev-python/numeric,
11 >>> but .../Numeric/numeric_version.pyc is listed as an "orphan". While it
12 >>> is safe to delete, it will just be regenerated again later, wasting
13 >>> computing cycles.
14 >>>
15 >> That's sort of what I was thinking. It was generated when it was
16 >> started up the first time. I also noticed some things that I installed
17 >> in the Seamonkey directory too. Adblock was one of those.
20 > That's not quite correct: .py[co] are generated by emerge right after
21 > package installaton and these won't come back unless you use these libs
22 > as root, since python won't have write access to these paths and will
23 > be byte-compiling each script on-the-fly.
27 All the more reason for me to leave them alone then huh? ;-) We all
28 know what happens to portage when python pukes up last weeks meal. :/
29
30 Dale
31