From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] TLD for home LAN?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 10:34:10
1 Hello list,
2
3 Rich F said recently, "I'd avoid using the .local TLD due to RFC 6762."
4
5 That brings me back to a thorny problem: what should I call my local network?
6 It used to be .prhnet, but then a program I tried a few years ago insisted on
7 a two-component name, so I changed it to .prhnet.local.
8
9 Now I've read that RFC - well, Appendix G to it - and I'm scratching my head.
10 I suppose it's possible that someone may want to connect an Apple device to my
11 network, so perhaps I should clear the way for that eventuality.
12
13 So, what TLD should I use? Should I use .home, or just go back to .prhnet? It
14 isn't going to be visible to the Big Bad World, so does it even matter?
17 Regards,
18 Peter.