From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is a wiki what I'm after?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 07:38:53
1 Hi all,
2 The wife has finally put her foot down and said I have to clean up the
3 mess that inhabits my office which occupies our second bedroom. A big
4 part of this mess is paper clipping from newspapers, magazines, trade
5 shows, you name it, I've clipped it, kept it, but most importantly not
6 filed it. This mess is nearly impossible to file in its current form so
7 I set about thinking of a better way.
8
9 A wiki is one of the first things to come to mind. I'm contemplating
10 setting a wiki up on my trusty little firewall/email/squid/dns....
11 server, scanning the clipping, creating an entry in the wiki, placing,
12 say, the first para of the clipping in the wiki page, maybe via OCR
13 software, and then attaching the scanned image to the page. This way I
14 can search the wiki looking for stuff, the first paragraph of the
15 article will probably tell me if its the page I'm after and if so, look
16 at the scanned image for the full article.
17
18 Does this sound like a suitable use for a wiki or am I wasting my time
19 and there are more "application specific" packages out there that would
20 suit my needs better? Anyone done anything like this before?
21
22 Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
23
24 Andrew