From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 18:33:22
1 On 2013-09-29 2:21 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Where are the links/pointers to the INTERNAL discussions of this decision? I
4 >> seriously want to know. If gentoo devs are not willing to provide a 'paper
5 >> trail' for how this decision was arrived at, and let others judge their
6 >> decisions based on the merits of their arguments, then what does that say
7 >> about their true motivations/intentions?
8
9 > The discussion happened in [1], [2], and [3]. And in similar meetings
10 > and mailing lists since months ago.
11 >
12 > [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2946
13 > [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20130924.txt
14 > [3] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/88282
15 >
16 > All has been made in the open; if you subscribed to gentoo-dev, or to
17 > genoo-project, you would know about this changes since months ago.
18
19 Thanks very much for this...
20
21 But it would be pointless for me to subscribe to dev, since 98% of it
22 would go straigvht over my head.
23
24 >> Again, I don't have a problem necessarily with what is being decided (no
25 >> separate /usr without an initramfs), my problem is with the implementation -
26 >> giving us one MONTH before we can expect possible breakage with each and
27 >> every update.
28
29 > How much time do you need? Six months? A year?
30
31 Either one would be MUCH better than ONE month...
32
33 > systemd, according to its author, will never support *BSD.
34
35 Thank god for small miracles...