From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 09:29:54
1 On 2012-04-15 07:16, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I have changed the root line to hd1,0 and it still boots sda. Other
4 > settings result in a failure. It doesn't even try to boot.
5
6 What does your 'device.map' file say the sdb drive is mapped to? You
7 usually find the 'device.map' file in /boot/grub for both grub1 and
8 grub2... not sure which one you use (haven't followed this thread, sorry).
9
10 > But the kernel I want to use is on sda1. The OS is on sdb tho.
11
12 Hm... did you mean to write 'sdb1' (your /boot partition as mentioned
13 earlier in the thread) or do you mean that you want to boot a kernel
14 located in sda1 and still use sdb1 as your /boot partition? I don't see
15 how the last part would work...
16
17 You need to tell grub where your / (root) partition are named (by grub
18 convention). You find out what hdX maps to what drive (sdX) through grub
19 or the 'device.map' file that should have been created when you set up grub.
20
21 HTH
22
23 Best regards