From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I applied mkswap on root partition
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 00:16:35
1 On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:36 -0600, Teng Wang wrote:
2 > No, I don't have a backup.
3 > And I still didn't turn off my laptop. The
4 > problem is how I can recover my system?
5
6 The first solution I was thinking of would be to back your system up
7 before you reboot, and then re-create the filesystem and restore but, at
8 least for me, mkswap pretty much destroys the filesystem instantly.
9
10 The second solution would have been to restore from your most recent
11 backup but, as you've said, you don't have one.
12
13 Hopefully this incident illustrates the importance of having a backup.
14 Beyond that, I don't see much hope for you (beyond re-installing).
15 Likely mkswap has destroyed your filesystem metadata (and data) and
16 There's probably no sane way of recovering from it other than a restore.
19 Albert W. Hopkins
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list