From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PATA vs SATA kernel driver (was: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore)
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 09:03:48
1 Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > On 01/07/2013 08:35 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> As I understand it, /dev/hdxx is no longer
4 >> supported on current kernels. All hard drives are /dev/sdxx and optical
5 >> drives are /dev/sr0(1,2,3,4 etc).
6 > Not true, I'm using /dev/hd for all my PATA HD and DVD drives and
7 > /dev/sd for the SATA HDs. Systems are ~amd64.
8 >
9 > At the time /dev/sr was introduced I tried it and had problems on the
10 > DVD burner (I don't recall which ones, maybe just related to the missing
11 > /dev/dvd link) so I decided to stick with the old driver.
12 >
13 > Is there any advantage to switch to the SATA driver also for PATA drives?
14 >
15 > raffaele
19 Did you see this in menuconfig:
20
21 < > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support **(DEPRECATED)**
22
23 The last entry on the change log I found on my 3.5.3 kernel was this:
24
25 * 4.61 Jan 22, 2004 - support hardware sector sizes other than 2kB,
26 * Pascal Schmidt <der.eremit@×××××.de>
27
28 If you look at the ide.txt file, it still shows kernel version 2.6 so it
29 has not been updated to show it is in a series 3 kernel. Since this is
30 depreciated, which generally means no longer maintained, you are using
31 very old drivers that are no longer maintained. According to the
32 changelog, it has not been touched since 2004.
33
34 I would think one huge advantage to switching would be drivers that are
35 maintained. It may work but what if it has a problem that you don't see
36 yet?
37
38 I'm sure there are people on this list that are MUCH more familiar with
39 kernels that can answer your question with even more details but I found
40 that in less than five minutes on my own system. I didn't even need
41 google. So, unless some other more knowledgeable kernel guru comes
42 along, I would suggest you start using drivers that are not so
43 outdated. I only have a regular desktop and my life doesn't rely on it
44 but I would not use drivers that far out of date that are marked
45 depreciated. I certainly wouldn't when newer and maintained drivers are
46 so easily available in the same kernel.
47
48 Hope that helps.
49
50 Dale
51
55 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!