From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux-headers-3.5 with 3.4 kernel?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 20:00:43
1 On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Am 23.07.2012 16:16, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 >> Portage now installs sys-kernel/linux-headers-3.5.
4 >> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources is at 3.4.5.
5 >>
6 >> Is it even adviced to do that, installing 3.5 headers and running a 3.4
7 >> kernel? This sounds like a bad idea to me.
11 > Honestly, I cannot give you a satisfying explanation, but
12 >
13 > a) I came across this:
14 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-570319-start-0.html
15 >
16 > b) I was told the same years ago and never had issues.
17 >
18 > c) until you re-emerge glibc nothing changes anyway.
19 >
20 > d) your current glibc won't use new features, anyway (I guess)
21 >
22 > e) and even then, forward/backward compatibility in kernel headers and
23 > glibc are very good.
24
25 I have no official information either, but I always mask headers
26 greater than the version of kernel I'm using right now, just because
27 it feels wrong to me. there are about two dozen packages on my system
28 that depend on os-headers or linux-headers, so I don't get comfort
29 from "basically only glibc cares" statements. But maybe I'm just
30 worrying for no good reason. :)